25 December 2008

English Corner: Spelling

Thursday, December 25, 2008 by Chelo ·
Labels: , , ,
Almost everyone in the Philippines owns a cell phone - from the sophisticated executive to the street vendors. In this day and age, it is a necessity. Thankfully, the cell phone has made communications easier and conveying & receiving messages are literally at our fingertips. Why, even children 7-8 years old use cell phones.

The down side to this is the deterioration of spelling & grammar of everyone, especially the youth. Acronyms replace full spelling in an attempt to squeeze in letters in one "send". English teachers are up in arms, parents are worried, and students...do not care.

I have made a quiet resolution to use full spelling as much as I can afford the time. When sending text messages to students, I spell out the words. Non-negotiable.

Just like using the right utensil for eating, impeccable English proficiency is becoming rare among Filipino youth. Let's help do something about it.

4 comments:

Chelo said...
January 1, 2009 at 8:39 AM

i use complete spelling when sending text messages too. keeps me smart. haha.

May Palacpac said...
January 9, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Hmmm,something to think about....

May Palacpac said...
January 9, 2009 at 5:36 PM

hmmm. something to think about....

Betty_ad said...
January 20, 2009 at 3:45 PM

AGREE!!! Although I am not a texting fiend, for I still believe that hearing a voice on the other end of the line is a more delightful experience, there are times when texting is indeed necessary. But when I send text messages, I send them out properly spelled. No abbreviations for me, why? First of all, I don't know the lingo or the shortcuts and perhaps I am not willing to learn. And second, I can't read them without going over the message several times or sounding like an idiot trying to read the messages aloud, hoping to get to the meaning of it. And when messages are sent in mixed Tagalog and English... hay!

Share your thoughts