19 October 2009

Dancing with the Pros

Monday, October 19, 2009 by Chelo ·
Labels: , , , ,

I knew it would take a lot of work to bring my dancers to Meralco Theatre to rehearse with Philippine Ballet Theatre. We come all the way from International Christian Academy Sucat, Paranaque. Permits, car pools, schedules, etc all had to be arranged for it to work. It wasn't like we had to go there everyday. But, still, joining the show meant a lot of sacrifice - for me, for the dancers, for their parents.

Still and all, we braved it. I knew that it would take more than taking classes and the sparse performances a school affords, albeit in prestigious theatres, in order to polish even technically brilliant dancers. Something just clicks when a dancer is thrust into the arena of the pros and they actually "see" seasoned dancers take class, rehearse, sweat it out, perform, et al. It was all part of raising the bar.

The same is true with life. I realize that the quest for greatness necessitates that I constantly follow the footsteps of those greater than I or those who have trekked life ahead of me, and learn from them. It takes a genuine humility to do so perennially. The gems culled from what pans before me are lessons I can't pick up from school institutions, at least, not to the degree I will glean as when I immerse myself in the field.

Dancing with the pros.

My dancers are tired. So am I, hoarse voice for a week and all. But, we are the richer for having taken the challenge. I'd like to think that our dancing got better, our character more solid.

Thank you, Philippine Ballet Theatre!

Chelo B. Gemina, Artistic Director, Acts Manila

4 comments:

Sheena Dorion said...
October 20, 2009 at 1:13 AM

Hi Chelo!

Thank you for sharing this! It's a good reminder and encouragement for someone who wants to fulfill God's plan for her life as well. :) Will post my first blog within the day. :)

Sheena Dorion said...
October 20, 2009 at 1:16 AM

Thank you for sharing this. :) It's a good reminder and encouragement for someone who wants to fulfill God's plan for her life too. Will post my first blog within the day. :)

abigail mapua-cabanilla said...
October 20, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Bravo Acts Manila! Congratulations Chelo and your beautiful ballerinas! I didn't know the details of the show. Good you posted it. So proud of you =)

abigail mapua-cabanilla said...
October 20, 2009 at 9:54 AM

Bravo Acts Manila! Congratulations Chelo and to your beautiful ballerinas! I did not know the details of the show, good you posted. I'm so proud of you =)

Share your thoughts